Monday Mojo for Caregivers – Holiday Hints for Caregiver of People with Alzheimer’s
Hello and welcome to Monday Mojo for Caregivers. The holiday season is a meaningful time for all families, even ones with loved one’s who live with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. Incorporating family traditions into the holiday allows family members to feel a sense of belonging. For someone with memory loss, this link with the past can be comforting and reassuring. However, everyone is different and the way one person might handle a situation can differ from another. With loud celebrations and many people coming and going, this time of the year can cause some confusion and/or anxiety.
It’s important to find the right balance for you and your loved one. Here are some helpful holiday hints to keep in mind.
- Set your own limits, and be clear about them with others. You do not have to live up to expectations. Your situation is different now.
- Involve the person with Alzheimer’s in simple holiday preparations, or have him or her observe your preparations. Participating with you may give the person the pleasure of helping and the fun of anticipating and reminiscing.
- Consider simplifying your holidays around the home. For example, rather than cooking an elaborate dinner, invite family and friends for a potluck. Instead of elaborate decorations, consider choosing a few select items.
- Encourage friends and family to visit even if it’s difficult. Limit the number of visitors at any one time, or have a few people visit quietly with the person in a separate room. Plan visits when the person usually is at his or her best.
- Prepare quiet distractions to use, such as a family photo album, if the person with Alzheimer’s becomes upset or overstimulated.
- Make sure there is a space where the person can rest when he or she goes to larger gatherings.
- Find time for holiday activities you like to do. If you receive invitations to celebrations that the person with Alzheimer’s cannot attend, go yourself. Ask a friend or family member to spend time with your loved one while you’re out.
To speak with us here at the Alzheimer’s Care Resource Center
Feel free to call us at (877) 760-9199. Thanks for watching today’s Monday Mojo for Caregivers and we’ll see you again next week!