Many people go wrong by eating a breakfast made up mostly of refined carbohydrates with very little fiber and protein — like a refined-flour bagel, a muffin made with sugar and white flour, or a sugary low-fiber breakfast cereal. Balancing carbohydrates (preferably from whole grains, fruit and vegetables) with some protein and a little healthier fat will do a better job of staving off hunger until lunch and fueling your entire morning’s activities.
To help you get there, here are some tips for making sure your breakfast is a well-balanced one, as well as some quick and healthy breakfast ideas and recipes.
1. Banana Bagel – Your favorite toasted bagel; a tablespoon of peanut butter, and some thinly sliced bananas and you’re ready to go!
2. Green Eggs and Ham – Easy and healthy! Just layer some ham, Swiss cheese, eggs and spinach on a bagel or between two pieces of whole wheat bread! So good!
3. Breakfast Burrito – Take a small burrito shell and add some warm scrambled eggs, salsa or fresh diced tomatoes. Salt and pepper to taste and you’re done!
4. Citrus Berry Smoothie – Add to blender and blend until smooth
- 1 1/4 cups fresh berries
- 3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
5. Berry Parfait – Add the following to a large cup or bowl
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted if desired
- 2 teaspoons honey
To contact the Alzheimer’s Care Resource Center
For more information, please call us at (561) 588-4545. Thanks for watching today’s Monday Mojo and we’ll see you again next week!