In today’s Wednesday Workshop we chatted about your right to demand the best care for your loved with Alzheimer’s. I’d simply like to reiterate some of the things we discussed, and maybe give you a few other pointers.
Remember, ASK QUESTIONS! This is your right. You can ask whatever you feel is necessary and applicable to help you find the best caregiver for your Alzheimer’s patient. Here are some of the things you should ask, (look for) when choosing an agency to help you give the best care possible.
- How long have they been in business?
- Do they specialize in Alzheimer’s care?
- What kind of training/education do the caregivers receive?
- Is the cost (of your agency) comparable to other agencies in the area?
- Will you bill my insurance?
- Can I be involved in the plan of care and tell you what I want done with my loved one?
- Do I have to have someone fulltime, or can I just have someone come and give me a break?
As you can tell, there are litanies of questions you can, and SHOULD, ask. There may be many more you think of that have to do with the specifics of your loved ones care. Don’t be afraid! NO question is too dumb. You give your loved one the best care you can and you should expect to receive the same from anyone coming to care for your Alzheimer’s patient.
In the Palm Beaches there is only one agency that specializes in Alzheimer’s (and Dementia) care – Elder Care At Home. Not only does the staff meet the state requirements for Alzheimer’s training, they exceed it by far with continuing education in the field of Alzheimer’s/Dementia Care. With over 20 years of experience, their staff is well equipped to care for your loved one. Be sure to check out Elder Care At Home when looking to choose outside help.