The Alzheimer’s Care Resource Center facilitates a large number of caregiver support groups in West Palm Beach and surrounding areas including Lake Worth, Wellington, Boca Raton, and Palm Beach Gardens.
What are Alzheimer’s support groups?
Connecting with others who have the same kinds of struggles as you do is an important part of coping with Alzheimer’s disease. Groups are facilitated by trained professionals or former family caregivers, whose primary purpose is to provide knowledge about Alzheimer’s disease while allowing members to receive emotional support and encouragement from others in a similar situation. Some meet weekly, biweekly and monthly.
Who attends Alzheimer’s support groups?
People of all ages, races, genders, education levels and backgrounds. Although many members join when they are feeling overwhelmed and uncertain, people who attend groups tend to be strong individuals who are looking to gain the best support available for themselves and their families and who want to learn about the disease, and prepare for the future. It also allows an opportunity for participants to help each other deal with the challenges of Alzheimer’s disease.
Why attend an Alzheimer’s support group?
While attending a group is not the solution for all, it can be a vital part of maintaining the health and well-being of both caregiver and patient. Groups provide vital education about managing dementia care that reduces stress for all involved. Research has shown that attending a support group can not only reduce caregiver stress, but improve the functioning of people with Alzheimer’s, keep them living at home longer, and assisting in managing difficult behaviors that may arise.
Many people don’t attend a group because they think they are depressing or someplace you go if you can’t cope. But the opposite is true! Groups help you cope. Studies have found that the least depressed caregivers attend a group. And group members themselves have often found that while the group is a good place to cry if you need to, it is also a great place to laugh.
Check to see if there is a group close to you that fits your needs, or if you prefer, call our 24-hour Caregiver Line at 855-476-7600. If you would like to speak with a Care Manager about your own unique situation
West Palm Beach/Lake Worth Alzheimer’s Support Groups
- Caregiver Support Group: Every Tuesday of each month from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. – West Palm Beach / Lake Worth
- Caregiver Support Group: Every first and third Thursday of each month from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. – West Palm Beach/Lake Worth
Wellington/West Lake Worth Alzheimer’s Support Group
- Caregiver Support Group: Every third Thursday of each month from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. – West Lake Worth
Boca Raton Alzheimer’s Support Groups
- Caregiver Support Group: Second Monday of each month from 10:00 a.m to 12:00 a.m – Boca Raton
- Caregiver Support Group: Fourth Monday of each month from 2:45 a.m to 3:45 p.m – Boca Raton
Palm Beach Gardens Alzheimer’s Support Groups
- Caregiver Support Group: Second Wednesday of each month from 5:30 p.m to 6:30 p.m – Palm Beach Gardens
Alzheimer’s Telephone Support Groups
- Telephone Caregiver Support Group: Second Tuesday of each month from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Early Stage/Newly Diagnosed Alzheimer’s Support Groups
- Early Stage/Newly Diagnosed: Second Thursday of each month from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. – West Palm Beach / Lake Worth
Male Support Groups
- Male Support Group: Second Friday of each month from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. – West Palm Beach /Lake Worth
Evening Support Groups
- Evening Caregiver Support Group: Fourth Thursday of each month from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. – West Palm Beach / Lake Worth
Teen Support Groups
- Teen Support Group: Fourth Friday of each month from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. – West Palm Beach /Lake Worth