Wednesday Workshop – How to Help an Aging Loved One Down-Size
Hello and welcome to our Wednesday Workshop. Helping a parent downsize for a move can be very complicated. Where you see a houseful of junk to sort and toss, your parents will likely see treasures and a lifetime of memories.
Here are some ideas to avoid the “junk wars” and make downsizing less stressful for everyone involved!
- Although it’s more efficient for you to plow through the whole house at once, your parents are more likely to be stressed out. Tackle one room or area at a time instead.
- Try framing decisions as yes or no questions. Open-ended choices puts the mover on the spot and increases stress. Present a more manageable yes or no option.
- Encourage your parents to focus on their most-used items and to let the rest go. Be patient and follow their lead. Something that seems old and useless to you may be a source of great comfort and joy.
- Photos, memorabilia and collections take up a lot of room. Many services digitize images and papers for you. Only pick a few special photos to display on walls.
- Don’t be afraid to donate items. Schools may welcome musical instruments. Auto repair shops will be happy to accept tools. Your parents will feel relieved to see their things going to good homes.
- If it’s chipped, broken, or stained then just toss it.
- If all else fails, consider hiring some professionals. Services like 1-800-GOT-JUNK and 1-800-JUNK-USA will remove appliances and furniture as well as smaller items.
To learn more or to speak with us here at the Alzheimer’s Care Resource Center
Feel free to call us at (877) 760-9199 or email us below. Thanks for joining us for today’s Wednesday Workshop and we’ll see you again next week!
Send us an email!
Alzheimer’s Care Community Support Groups
Alzheimer’s care community support groups are facilitated throughout Palm Beach County. Alzheimer’s caregivers support group locations West Palm Beach, Delray Beach, Boca Raton, Wellington, Lake Worth and Palm Beach Gardens for Alzheimer’s family caregivers and early-stage Alzheimer’s caregiver support groups.
Alzheimer’s Events West Palm Beach
The Alzheimer’s Care Resource Center’s calendar of upcoming Alzheimer’s events is published monthly to serve the Alzheimer’s care community in South Florida. Free Alzheimer’s Caregiver Workshops; Alzheimer’s training, and free Alzheimer’s educational videos are available.
Alzheimer’s News Palm Beach County
The Alzheimer’s Care Resource Center’s newsletter is published monthly and includes valuable news and information for Alzheimer’s family caregivers. Community organizations and professionals interested in submitting information for publication, can send a request to [email protected]