The Reef for Male Caregivers – Why You Should Join a Caregiver Support Group
Hello and welcome. As a family caregiver, there will be good days and bad ones. The encouragement that you can potentially receive from a support group specifically for designed for men can boost your emotional and mental well-being.
Here are 5 benefits of joining a caregiver support group:
1. YOU LEARN THAT YOU ARE NOT ALONE: In support group, you learn that the problems that you go through as a caregiver are being experienced by other family caregivers. Knowing that you’re not alone can be of great comfort. It can be helpful just getting to talk with other people who are in the same boat.
2. YOU CAN LEARN TO: accept help, ask for help and acknowledge ourselves on our caregiving journey. Caregiving is a challenging, yet rewarding experience. Understanding how to balance responsibilities by taking care of your needs and involving others help manage the natural stress and isolation of being a caregiver.
3. SHARE IN A SAFE ENVIRONMENT: A caregiver support group gives you the opportunity to share common experiences in a safe and non-judgmental environment.
4. FIND RESOURCES: People in the support group will also share information with you ranging from research, new medications, doctors, attorneys and different places and people who can provide more help or assistance.
5. NEW FRIENDSHIPS: This is a huge plus because we hear a lot about caregivers feeling isolated and lonely. We have seen many caregivers in the support groups form new friendships and discover a sense of community. I have seen them grow by helping others while helping themselves.
Don’t try to do it all by yourself.
Caregiver support groups will help you take that deep breath and recharge. Face-to-face support groups are great if you can take a break from the caregiving responsibilities for a short time. If not, online support groups can offer help, available at your convenience. To contact us here at the Alzheimer’s Care Resource Center, Please call (877) 760-9199. Thanks for joining us today and we’ll see you again next month.