If you’re a caregiver, which most of you are, than you’ve probably had the “nursing home” talk with your loved one. We all know what this is. It’s the conversation when your loved one makes you promise that you will never place them in a nursing home. What a difficult thing to do! Unfortunately, that’s just such a tough promise to keep. We can’t know what future obstacles and challenges we’ll face that can make care at home simply impossible.
Instead of that promise, we’ve come up with 11 promises to make to yourself and to your loved one.
- I promise to do my best to care for you and myself.
- I promise to get help for both of us so we both stay in a good place.
- I promise to be truthful about my limits.
- I promise to forgive myself for bad days.
- I promise to forgive you for your bad days.
- I promise to be as honest about your diagnosis as you want me to be.
- I promise to advocate on behalf of both of us so we can receive what we need and want.
- I promise to do my best to include interests, hobbies and relationships that you love as often as I can in the day.
- I promise to do my best to include interests, hobbies and relationships that I love as often as I can in the day.
- I promise to let your wishes about your treatments and quality of life drive the decisions I may have to make.
- I promise to walk this journey with you to the best of my ability.
So, What do you think? What would you add to this list of promises?
To contact the Alzheimer’s Care Resource Center
Please call (877) 760-9199. Thanks for watching today’s Monday Mojo and we’ll see you again next week!