Monday Mojo for Caregivers – How Creativity Heals Us
Hello and welcome to Monday Mojo for Caregivers. You don’t have to be an artist to have creativity inside you. Everyone has a way in which they express their creativity either through art, writing, singing, dancing, etc. A wise woman once said, “Creativity is the way I share my soul with the world.” For anyone who wishes to activate their creative side, here are all the ways it can truly help you.
What does creativity have to do with health, healing and well-being? Studies show that engaging in any creative process is healing. Whether you make a simple drawing or collage, look at art or talk about it, creativity and the arts can help you:
- Express thoughts and emotions that can be hard to put into words
- Lower stress and anxiety
- Relax and feel calmer and happier
- Connect with yourself on a deep level, no matter what you are going through
- Find meaning in life experiences
- Cope with grief and loss
- Form new connections with others
- Shift your focus away from pain or stressful thoughts to activities that are soothing, enjoyable and fun
- Create something unique that gives you a sense of pleasure and accomplishment
When we create something original, whether it be a drawing, a song, or a poem, we’re bringing something that was within us and pulling it outward. Now your creativity can be seen and shared by others. Your creativity is an extension of who you are and that’s important. Others can experience a new side of you. You are adding to the world!
Expressing thoughts, feelings and emotions is essential to our well-being. Creativity is a gateway to becoming who we want to be. To be an artist, simply create art. To be a poet, start writing poems. Expressing yourself through creativity requires that you be honest with yourself. When you’re honest with yourself, you can heal yourself.
To speak with us here at the Alzheimer’s Care Resource Center
Feel free to call us at (877) 760-9199. Thanks for watching today’s Monday Mojo for Caregivers and we’ll see you again next week!